Susan Graham, CFLE
As a family & youth educator, I have over 15 years working with parents and children in the education system and eight years supporting families in court custody cases. In addition, I’m a Certified Family Life Educator specifically trained to support family education and learning. Utilizing verifiable evidence-based methods and research, I’ve designed successful parenting and youth programs used across the globe.
What is a Family Life Educator?
Family Life Educators obtain the Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) credential through the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). The CFLE credential is the nationally recognized standard in Family Life Education and validates a professional’s experience and knowledge as a Family Life Educator.
Family Life Education
Family Life Education is the professional practice of equipping and empowering family members to develop knowledge and skills that enhance well-being and strengthen relationships through an educational, preventive, and strength-based approach.
Certification is through the NCFR:
National Council on Family Relations
The National Council on Family Relations, founded in 1938, is the oldest nonprofit, nonpartisan, multidisciplinary professional association focused solely on family research, practice, and education. NCFR members are dedicated to understanding and strengthening families.
Additional Insight Into Family Life Education
The skills and knowledge needed for healthy family functioning are widely known:
- strong communication skills
- knowledge of typical human development
- good decision-making skills, positive self-esteem
- healthy interpersonal relationships
The goal of Family Life Education (abbreviated FLE) is to teach these skills and knowledge areas to family members across the lifespan, and foster positive individual and family development so families can function optimally.
Family Life Educators have knowledge based in the discipline of Family Science, and are employed in a variety of settings and roles. They consider societal issues — economics, education, work-family issues, parenting, sexuality, gender, and more — within the context of the family. They believe that societal problems like substance abuse, domestic violence, unemployment, debt, and child abuse can be more effectively addressed from a perspective that considers individuals and families as part of larger systems.
Family Life Educators empower families themselves to apply knowledge about healthy family functioning to prevent or minimize problems.
CFLEs have proven knowledge in the 10 Family Life Education Content Areas:
- Families and Individuals in Societal Contexts
- Internal Dynamics of Families
- Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan
- Human Sexuality
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Family Resource Management
- Parent Education and Guidance
- Family Law and Public Policy
- Professional Ethics and Practice
- Family Life Education Methodology
Achieve Life Balance
Given the evidence that parenting practices and the family environment have a strong impact on child outcomes, Achieve Life Balance’s main goal is to provide effective resources to help parents, guardians, and educators learn concrete ways to encourage children’s growth and wellness at home and in their community. All programs are designed to meet families where they are at. Achieve Life Balance takes great care regarding the diversity, inclusion and privacy of all participants.
Achieve Life Balance is dedicated to providing the most effective and easily accessible programming in a manner that is simple to understand. Online workshops provide options for families with limited time. No need to travel, spend money on gas or find a babysitter. Parents can learn in the privacy and comfort of their home, at their pace.
Learning is a community effort. In order to remain up-to-date as a Family Life Educator, I consistently collaborate with industry specialists and leaders, including researchers, parenting specialists, marriage & family counselors, educators, health professionals and others. In addition, I often work with community leaders in an effort to support and grow our local communities.
Popular Achieve Life Balance Workshops
- Powerful Positive Parenting
- Introduction to Parenting Teens: 5 Essential Insights Into the Teen Mind
- Parenting Teens: Communication, Connections & Life Lessons
- From Chaos to Calm: Navigating Life After A Global Pandemic
- Stress Management & Resiliency for Families
- Social Emotional Learning for Families
- Personal Control & Responsibilities
- Parenting on the Same Page
- Parenting Cohesively for Co-Parents
- Parenting with a Difficult Co-Parent
- The Significance of Fathers